2023 Pre-Licensure Lobby Day (Virtual)
* Updated Date * This event is for all CA Pre-Licensure nursing students to discuss legislation, regulation, and policy that directly impacts healthcare in the state of CA.
Time & Location
Apr 26, 2023, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
About the Event
Welcome to ANA\C's Pre-Licensure Lobby Day! This event is FREE & OPEN to all CA pre-license nursing students and their education institutions where we discuss the importance of understanding policy, regulation, and legislation.
Learning to become a nursing advocate is essential for your newly chosen career! This highly sought-after virtual event will be instructed by ANA\C's Executive Director Dr. Marketa Houskova DNP, MAIA, BA, RN, and our licensed lobbyist, Roxanne Gould who will be discussing the importance of getting involved with Legislation and understanding policy throughout healthcare in California.
- Susan Blachman- Northern California Recycling Association- Susan Blachman is an environmental consultant currently focused on helping local jurisdictions comply with California’s Edible Food Recovery SB1383 regulations. She participated in the first-ever Zero Food Waste Forum, nicknamed the Woodstock of Food Waste, in 2014, helped organize the Northern California Recycling Association’s second Zero Food Waste Forum and co-chairs NCRA's Zero Food Waste Committee. On the personal front, she regularly incorporates leftovers into her family’s meals, has subscribed to a CSA since 1995, and enjoys the challenge of shopping her fridge before heading to a market.
- Marcy Ballman, Ph.D.- The American Lung Association- Dr. Marcy Ballman has a multidisciplinary background with expertise in exposure assessment, pediatric asthma management, and respiratory toxicology. While receiving her Ph.D, she performed field-work at wildland fire base camps to understand wildland firefighter and camp personnel exposures and potential health effects. She has a unique distinction of understanding both the exposure science and laboratory bench science that inform public health. She has worked with the American Lung Association for six years to address climate change-driven impacts on lung health.
Topics of Discussion:
- Legislative Overview for Nurses in California
- Protecting Patients from Wildfire Smoke
- Food Waste & Hospitals
- Nursing Student Advocacy
The goal of this virtual conference is to provide the tools that future nurses need to effectively participate in the legislative process and support the nursing agenda throughout the state of California. Strengthening the voice of nursing can and will protect and enhance the nursing profession as well as nursing's position in political and regulatory arenas.