Info Session #2 - Assessment to Eradicate Racism in Nursing Education Case Study
An informational session for California-based colleges and universities to learn more about participating in ANA\California's Assessment to Eradicate Racism in Nursing Education Case Study.
Time & Location
Feb 21, 2024, 3:00 PM – 3:30 PM
About the Event
The American Nurses Association\California is launching the "Assessment to Eradicate Racism in Nursing Education Case Study" to comprehensively examine and eliminate racism within the nursing education system. Through an organizational scan and analysis of the perspectives of nursing administration, faculty, and students, we aim to uncover systemic racism and assess its impact on the educational experience.
Goal & Potential Impact:
Our goal is to create a future where nursing education reflects the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism. The study's findings have the potential to catalyze positive change within the institution by providing actionable recommendations for curriculum revision, policy reform, and professional development.
- Timeframe: 2-4 Weeks
- Two Assessments: Nursing Administration & Faculty and Nursing Students
- Assessment Focus: (14) concepts including but not limited to Student Support Services, Clinical Placements, Nursing Curriculum, Admissions, Reporting mechanisms, etc.
- Location: Electronic Assessment via ANA\California's Website
Considerations & Expectations:
Participating California-based universities, colleges, and their subsequent Schools of Nursing should consider the following:
- Good Standing: The nursing school must be in good standing with the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN).
- Institutional Support: Leaders should assess the readiness and willingness of their institutions to support and actively participate in the study.
- Logistical Considerations: Leaders should prepare to engage administration, faculty, and students with communications that align with their academic calendar.
- Data Collection and Privacy: Leaders should understand that ANA\California will collect and handle data confidentially and that the rights and privacy of participants are safeguarded.
- Cost: There are no financial costs or obligations associated with participating in this case study.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Can our school choose which faculty and students participate in the assessment? To ensure the assessment's integrity and minimize bias, participant selection should follow a predefined, impartial process.
- Will our school be able to benchmark our results against others? Organizations will receive an aggregate report of all participating institutions in the case study. In the future, our goal is to create a benchmark report allowing comparisons of nursing schools with the aggregate of all institutions.
- Are there any financial costs or obligations associated with participating in the case study? No.
- How can I stay up to date on communication regarding ANA\California's Assessment to Eradicate Racism in Nursing Education? Interested institutions and individuals may subscribe to receive updates by signing up here.
Racism in Nursing Education Taskforce Members
- Dr. Quanna Batiste-Brown DNP, RN, NEA-BC
- Dr. Charlotte Gullap-Moore DNP, MSN, APRN, ANP-BC, RN
- Aron King MS, RN
- Shontaya Carrico MSN, APRN, ACNS-BC, CPHQ
- Lourdes Moldre MSN, BSN, RN, ACNP-BC
- Dr. Orlando Harris PhD, FNP, MPH
- Dr. Christina Kelley DNP, APRN, CNS, NE-BC (ANA\California Nursing Education Director 2023-2025)
- Jared Fesler (ANA\California Communications & Programs Manager)
- Dr. Loleater Gibson EdD, MSN, BSN
- Dr. Deborah Finn-Romero DNP, RN, PHN, PACT
RSVP to receive a meeting link to this Informational Session.
For additional questions, please reach out to ANA\California's Communications and Programs Manager via email: email@example.com