Pre-Licensure Lobby Day (Virtual)
This event is for all CA Pre-Licensure nursing students to discuss legislation, regulation, and policy that directly impacts healthcare in the state of CA.
Time & Location
Apr 04, 2022, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM PDT
About the Event
Welcome to ANA\C's Pre-Licensure Lobby Day! Hosted by California Nursing Students' Association and the American Nurses Association\California! This event is FREE & OPEN to all CA pre-license nursing students and their education institutions where we discuss the importance of understanding policy, regulation, and legislation.
Learning to become a nursing advocate is essential for your newly chosen career! This highly sought-after virtual event will be instructed by ANA\C's Executive Director Dr. Marketa Houskova DNP, MAIA, BA, RN, and our licensed lobbyist, Roxanne Gould.
The goal of this virtual conference is to provide the tools that future nurses need to effectively participate in the legislative process and support the nursing agenda throughout the state of California. Strengthening the voice of nursing can and will protect and enhance the nursing profession as well as nursing's position in political and regulatory arenas.
Topics of discussion:
- Increasing difficulty to get into nursing school contributing to shortage of nurses in workforce
- Limited residency/new graduate nurse programs
- Raising awareness on benefits of residency programs
- Limited clinical opportunities because of the COVID pandemic
- Limited instruction on caring for COVID patients
- Students being required to purchase their own PPE or pay for their own FIT tests
- Limited scholarship/financial aid opportunities (especially for students that hold bachelor's degrees in other fields)
- Creating a framework for nursing students/nursing community for natural disasters or national emergencies that will allow nursing students and other students to continue their schooling to prevent a shortage in the workforce
This will be a platform that would allow nursing students to ask questions, voice concerns, and learn from healthcare leaders on how and why utilizing their voices as an advocate is detrimental for their careers.